RED BIONICA Farm visits, Internships & Workshops
FIELD SCHOOLS – BIOINTENSIVE-AGROECOLOGY
Since 2012, the core mission of BioNica has been to provide training in best practices in sustainable small-scale agricultural – particularly carbon-intensive methods to develop and maintain soil fertility in the tropics so that the soil is capable of growing crops without synthetic fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides.
Biointensive-Agroecology Training is available through the RED BIONICA demonstration gardens as day visits, multi-day workshops and internships for different groups including:
1) agricultural technicians working with non-governmental organizations (NGO’s) that have small-scale agricultural projects;
2) small-scale growers; and,
3) university and vocational school faculty and students
Students from Citalapa – January 2015
Contact us at: for more information about organizing a workshop, visit or internship.
Click here for more information about the Certification of Growers and Instructors.
ECHO-BioNica Seed System
Red BioNica, Echo Community and other partners promote seed saving and seed security for small-scale growers in Nicaragua.
1) improve the availability of seeds to small-scale growers by locally reproducing an assortment of vegetables, legumes and grains;
2) diversify the inventory of staple crops by introducing propriate varieties from countries with warmer and drier climates, including Africa and Asia; and,
3) teaching seed bank best-practices and participatory crop improvement methods
Sign up at ECHO Community for free access to valuable information and resources about plants and seeds:
Center for Biointensive-Agroecology
Educational tours are available throughout the year at the Centro Agroecológico Biointensivo located at km 30 of the Tipitapa–Masaya Highway. The tour includes demonstrations of the basic principles of agroecology and the biointensive method of small-scale agriculture. Visitors also may acquire practical experience in digging beds, making compost, transplanting seedlings and harvesting crops.
To organize a visit to the Centro Agroecológico Biointensivo at UNA El Plantel contact: Javier Silva
Dry Season, MARCH 2013
Click here for more information about the other RED BIONICA training centers in Nicaragua: Google Maps.